Welcome to my Journey

Hello, and welcome to my Journey. Over the last few years I have been learning more about my personal journey, my Path and my Soul Purpose. The further I travel, the easier I find it to share my journey with others, and to learn from their journeys as well. The most recent evolution has caused me to expand my Universe and allow more people access to my travels, as well as allowing me access to more people, their travels and what they have learned as they walk their own paths. Feel free to share your journey here as we all have much to learn in our lives as Divine Beings having a Human experience.

Love and Light.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

April 27, 2013 Something different, aka, where it all began

Today, I'm going to do something so completely different from recent blogs, that you may think this came from another writer entirely, but I assure you, it's all me! 

On the advice of a friend, I started reading "The Quitter" by John Acuff and as I read through the part about finding your "hinge", I realized that, whichever way I cut it, writing is my passion.  When he asked if you'd even do it for free, I have and I would.

This led me to reflect on what really caused me to start this blog which began on Facebook in early 2009, later migrating here when I got frustrated with the format and lack of space.  And that something is what I keep referring back to as my "18,000 words of garbage".  But the fact is, it isn't all garbage, and it did have a really good purpose, so what I'm going to do today is share the first chapter of what I've tentatively titled "Live After Suicide:  Healing and Forgiving".  



                                                         Chapter 1: In the beginning…
     

My mother chose to end her life on December 28, 1993, less than a month before a cataclysmic earthquake rattled Northridge and quite a bit of Southern California.  Choosing to remain in bed when my father left for work due to some unspecified malaise, she sought to get rid of the pain with a bottle of sleeping pills.  She didn’t leave a note or a sign but left behind her 6 year old granddaughters, her infant grandson, my sister, my father and me.   And scores of unanswered questions.

For years, I was angry with my mother.  Angry because, as my father struggled with depression and the well-meaning questions from friends and family, she’d left him to find her cold body in the bed they’d shared for nearly forty years.  Angry because she left the granddaughters who loved her, even when she was making their mother crazy with her opinions on how they should be raised.  And angry because she left during a very difficult time in my life as I slogged through an ugly divorce.

My father followed her down that road nearly 10 years later, on September 11, 2003, exactly two years after the fateful World Trade Center disaster, and one day before his granddaughters’ 16th birthday.  As near as we can tell, he pondered the lung cancer diagnosis he’d recently received, wrote a note, smoked one last cigarette and put a gun I wasn’t even aware he owned to his head.  He did remember, before he left us, to send the girls birthday cards and checks, which arrived a couple of days after he was gone.   Through most of the ten years following my mother’s death, my dad dated a woman who was freakishly like my mom, in a shorter, more earthy kind of way.  The note he left was directed to her and gave her his apologies.  To me he left the job of cleaning up after him, and clearing out what remained of both his life and my mother’s, while my sister wondered why I couldn’t get the job done faster.  I never saw her cry.

My mother taught me how to read and how to bake Snickerdoodles, irritated me with her obsessive –compulsive neatness, loved my daughters to distraction while making me crazy with her “suggestions” on raising them.  And one day, quite suddenly, she was gone.
It came with a voice mail message from my father, who sounded like a man in shock, unable to believe where his life had led.  The details, though, came more slowly.  Wading through caramel slowly, in fact.   A question from the coroner had Dad searching Mom’s office for a how-to book on suicide.  He found it hidden behind some other books on her bookshelf.  Clearly, she’d had time to think before she acted.

From my dad’s family I learned how to cope.  And by coping, I mean keeping things in, not letting those around you see that you weren’t really keeping it together as much as it appeared.  That the strong, solid exterior you showed the world was merely a front for how broken, how shattered you were inside, the part which must never be shared.  From them I also learned to depend only on myself.  It wasn’t appropriate to expect anyone to take care of you or even for you to need anyone. 

That ingrained aversion to being dependent is, I believe, what drove my Dad to take his life.  He could not conceive of having me, my sister and our children watch his deterioration the way he had watched his mother’s, nor could he conceive of us having to care for him until nature took it’s course.  He was a very proud man, and, from his perspective, did the only honorable and loving thing he could for us.

Families of suicide victims face challenges in the grieving process which are quite different from those who lose someone to cancer or a car accident or even murder.  We feel shame, and with that shame, comes guilt.  It took me a long time to get past the shame, and to really understand why it’s even there.  I came to the conclusion that because Society has been as judgmental and uninformed about suicide as they are about homosexuality, it has become a subject that is only discussed in whispers, looking around to make sure nobody overhears.  One of the most common of those misconceptions is that family members should have seen it coming and gotten help before the unmentionable act occurred.   

This may be more apparent in the case of a youthful suicide as there are many studies and reports about teenage suicide, behaviour changes and obvious drug abuse.  But in truth, the percent of adults who attempt suicide and succeed far exceeds that of teenagers.  In part, this is because, as adults, we learn to protect ourselves by revealing only a small portion of who we really are.  When things are painful or difficult, adults often withdraw, but in the meantime, they continue to be responsible adults, going to work, raising kids, even volunteering.  They don’t share their struggles over finances or parents who are aging and need extra care, or marriages that are slowly imploding.   They can go through their life, their normal routine, being functionally depressed until one day it just overwhelms them.  Because they’re upholding their responsibilities, we tend to overlook or work around their moodiness, their overreactions to simple things, and assume they’re just having a bad day.  In cases where the crankiness goes on for a long period of time, people just write it off to the person’s nature and interact with them as little as possible, which, in reality, probably fuels the depression.

This societal insensitivity is no less damaging to the victim’s family as well meaning people ask why they didn’t notice or find help for the victim.  I remember watching people badger my Dad right after Mom died and wanting to look at them in disbelief, saying “He’s not a psychiatrist!  Living with Mom over the years, I’m sure he learned to overlook certain behaviour to avoid arguments, if nothing else!”  And in my Mom’s case, I had heard from some of those same relatives that the mere mention that she had a problem and should see a doctor would cause her to go ballistic.  I know for a fact that my dad never really learned to cope with her anger, except to withdraw into himself until it passed.  It’s like saying, “I know the stove is hot and I’ve felt the pain of a burn before, but I’m going to put my hand on that hot burner anyway.”  How many of us are stupid enough to intentionally repeat an action we know is painful, or at least highly uncomfortable?   Isn’t that the true definition of insanity?  Knowing what the result of an action will be, but doing it over and over, hoping for a different outcome.

And suppose we do notice and try to intervene?  Would our efforts be met as well intentioned, or simply as meddling, and quite possibly, make matters worse?  Mental health issues aren’t exactly table talk either.  It’s only in recent years that seeing a psychiatrist or a counselor hasn’t caused speculation about nervous breakdowns or schizophrenia and thoughts of that crazy cousin nobody every sees, or dear Aunt Agnes who’s “delicate” and who the children have learned to tiptoe around on the rare occasions she comes to visit.
 
                                      *   *   *   *   *  *   *   *   *  

Due to the nature of today's post, and it's digression from what has become a "normal" post these days, I'm leaving the gratitudes for later, except to say that I appreciate anyone who read through to this point.

Love and light.

 

9 comments:

  1. Long and important post: we live in a culture that sees needs and needing help as bad, and so too often we learn how to bottle ourselves up. Thank you for writing of your experience with suicide and its hard aftermath for loved ones, and the importance of coming out of all our neediness closets. I am so sorry and offer my sincere condolences to you that your parents could not, through no fault of their own, find help. And I applaud your bravery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, thank you so much. It was all a long time ago, and at this point, what I want to do is help others who've been through this, but from a non-clinical viewpoint. In truth, the writing was cathartic for me as it took me further along the road to healing, understanding and forgiving.

      Delete
  2. Well Sheri,
    I certainly go to the end!
    I have no personal experience of suicide, but could relate to a lot of the family traits you mention, and also know about stigma that society can place, having suffered wtih depression.
    I also know the power of connecting with others, and it's very clear from this post that your book will help a lot of people.
    18,000 words of garbage? I don't think so!
    Cheers,
    Gordon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gordon, thank you for your kind words. I hope that, in your own way, you've managed to kick Society's butt! I'm sure that depression was certainly a factor in the choice my mother made. She was certainly driven by appearances! And you've given me some food for thought as well.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sheri, wow, what a lovely transparent and personal piece of writing. I really do hope you seek publication, even if its self publishing. Im sure you could get it up on Amazon.
    I totally understand what you mean about shame. Its often harder to heal because of the shame, because it sits like a lid on alot of the feelings. I had an abortion and the pain was just the same as any other loss, but because of the shame and stigma from society, it makes it harder to heal. Many blessings on your writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, how amazingly brave of you to put that out here! Society in it's typical, judgemental, expectations of perfection fashion is especially hard on women who have abortions, without giving any thought at all to what a painful and difficult decision it can be to make! I hope that when I do finish the book, I can be as brave and open as you just were!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sheri,
    That was an important story you told, and I admire you for sharing it. One of the biggest problems with adult suicide is: even if you KNOW someone is telling you they want to commit suicide, there is nothing you can do to force them into a mental hospital. I know this for a fact, having a very close relative who is constantly telling me he wants to end his life. But he does it with drink, instead of a gun...

    Having two parents who died the same way is a HUGE trauma, and I sincerely hope that you've been able to get help to mitigate the hurt. Thankfully there are wonderful short term therapies such as EMDR & EFT that work miraculously well.

    I wish you the most happiness in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lianda. Stay tuned for Chapter 2. I've had a lot of time to work through this and part of the process will be sharing it in hopes that it will resonate with someone and help them in some way so they won't spend the years floundering as I did before getting back on solid ground and moving on.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing such a poignant story...having experienced multiple suicides in both my family and circle of friends, I can truly relate. And by sharing, hopefully those who have been fortunate enough that they haven't experienced it can get a slight glimpse into the extraordinary challenges faced by those left behind when the tragedy and devastating loss due to suicide occurs. Bless You!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me. Please feel free to share your thoughts.